Talented Mr. Reilly

Introduction: Matthew Reilly's novels are meant for those who can think visually. Puja Goyal caught up with Matthew Reilly in a light hearted conversation, to find out more about what is in store, for his readers next.

Source: Vijay Times, Life- Centrestage -pg 3.)
Copyright © 2005 Puja Goyal

There are few readers who wouldn't recognize Matthew Reilly; a name associated with Ice Station, Temple, Scarecrow, Contest and Hover Car Racer. His books have the perfect combination of animation, action and detail; and anyone who has read them would be found discussing, Mother, Shane 'Scarecrow' Schofield, and their adventures… Reilly says, "Readers love to learn, so I give them detail. It's fun to learn about the intricacies of countries and weapons and aircraft carriers. We read to learn."

Matthew believes that "Life is too short", he not only has written several bestsellers, but has also completed a degree in both Law and Arts, and has set - up his own entertainment company to promote his books and the movies he plans to make out of them.

Matthew Reilly
You were not much of a reader as a child, when did you first realize that writing is what you want to do?
MR: It was actually when I started doing it. I'd always wanted to make movies, but it was only when I tried to write a novel (Contest) that I found I actually enjoyed the writing process.

Did you go through the same struggles that other writers go through, initially?
MR: Contest was rejected by every major publisher in Sydney. It was only noticed after I self-published it at a cost of $8,000...so yes, you could definitely say that I went through the same struggles as other writers! It's all about determination and self-belief. Hell, just to put your name on the cover of a book takes courage. In the end, I honestly felt that Contest was a good, entertaining book that just hadn't been seen by the right person.

Most of your books are visual, as if one were watching a movie, is it deliberate? Do you write with a movie in mind?
MR: It is very deliberate, but often misinterpreted as "Oh, he's just trying to get a movie deal." I write very visually for one very specific reason: readers these days see lots and lots of movies so they think in a kind of movie language. They can picture quick cuts, dissolves, long shots, close-ups. I write for this audience, and audience that thinks visually.

How far have you progressed in turning Contest and Scarecrow into movies?
MR: I fear both film adaptations failed at the development stage, and the rights have reverted back to me (it's okay; I get to keep the studios' money!). My children's book, Hover Car Racer, however, was recently optioned by Walt Disney, so that's very exciting. I think that's the best place for Hover Car Racer.

What is more difficult, the plot or the characters?
MR: For me, plot requires more time, but I actually enjoy creating it more than I do characters. Plot is the engine of "a Matthew Reilly novel", so it has to be spot-on.

You have released your novel Hover Car Racer as a free online novel, what was the response?
MR: 180,000 visitors came to the Hover Car Racer website during its Internet run, a very pleasing figure for a first attempt.

What's up with Karanadon Entertainment, you set it up to promote Contest, what does the company do nowadays?
MR: Named after the creature in Contest, it is the name of my company. I do all my book deals through it. I have just created "Karanadon Pictures Pty Ltd" to make a movie version of Contest myself!

How's Seven Ancient Wonders coming up?
MR: It's finished and will be released later this year. It's huge, the biggest book I've done yet! It's Indiana Jones for the 21st century, with heaps of booby-traps and action. It's a massive global adventure.

What is next from the Matthew Reilly desk?
MR: I'm just going to rest for a few months. Having finished Seven Ancient Wonders and Hell Island, and having shot a short pilot for Contest, I need a break! I might write a screenplay, or just catch up on some non-fiction reading.

One thing a writer should not do, and should do?
MR: Should do: get the ending in your head before you start; Should not do: count the number of words you write each day. When you read, you don't say, "I think I'll read 500 words now..."

Comments