A generation of Musicians

Introduction: A generation of musicians vocalist, feels parents should encourage their children to take up classical music as a profession. Puja Goyal caught up with Sharada at the Annual Khadi Exhibition 2006, where she performed in front of an eclectic audience .

Source: Vijay Times, Life - Pg 3.
Copyright © 2006 Puja Goyal.

Classical Hindustani Vocalist, Vadavati Sharada Bharat is the daughter of well-known clarinet artist(Hindustani Classical), Pandit Narasimhalu Vadavati. With two MA degrees (Sociology and Music), and both Central and National Scholarship (for the pursuit of music studies), in her hand; Sharada is a performing artist in Hindustani Classical Music in Gwalior and has trained under Pandit Mallikarjun Mansoor, Pandit Siddarama Jambala Dinni and Pandit Narasimhalu Vadavati. She has also qualified in the Jaipur gharana under Dr Bharathi Vaishampayana of Shivaji University at Kolphapur.

Sharada has given various performances in festivals and television channels; she has also released a cassette Sangana Basava with her father Pandit Narasimhalu Vadavati. Her next release is an album called Monsoon.

How did you venture into Hindustani Classical music?

My father and grandfather, both are into music, and our entire family is involved in Hindustani Classical. I used to watch my grandfather and father perform, so I took to music. Maybe itĂ­s hereditary. I have always dreamt of learning music and performingĂ– my father recognised my talents as a child, saw the scope in me and encouraged me. After which, I put my entire efforts in music. my only dream to make sure that the efforts of my father are not wasted and that's why I will do my best in my endeavour.

Does Hindustani Classical music in your opinion have a future amongst the younger generation?

I know that many say that Classical music is going extinct and that it has no future. The important thing is that, the scope in any field depends on the initiative one takes and the interest one has. Young musicians involved in classical music should hold more concerts, which should be encouraged by their parents and peers. When this happens more and more individuals will feel like taking up Hindustani Classical as a career. We are the fourth generation in our family, who have performed and learned Hindustani Classical... how would we have survived, if there was no scope, or no option to sustain ourselves financially?

Tell us a little about the songs you choose to perform on stage...

Most of the songs I perform on stage consist of compositions by my father and grandfather. I have recently started to write too and there are several occasions that I have had the opportunity to sing my own compositions.

What do you think of the electronic instruments used by classical singers nowadays?

Electronic instruments should be limited only to practice. The essence of music is lost when someone uses synthesisers while performing on stage. The audience come to watch you perform; they don't come to see electronic instruments producing monotonous sounds.

Comments