Indian Idols in the making.

INTRODUCTION: The top two finalists to battle it out in the final stage for the Indian Idols are NC Karunya from Hyderabad and Sandeep Acharya from Rajasthan. A south Indian famous for his Punjabi songs and a north Indian famous for his soft singing will compete against each other at the grand finale. Karunya is known to be the only contestant amongst the combined contestants of Indian Idol series 1 and series 2, to have given flawless performances so far. And, Sandeep who was known for his Udit Narayan style of singing has proved to viewers and judges that he can master anyone's songs and over time has proved to be a fierce competitor to Karunya. Puja Goyal caught up with the contestants through video conferencing before the main event. Tune in.

Source: Vijay Times, BVT- Pg 4.
Copyright © 2006 Puja Goyal.

What are your dreams for yourselves after Indian Idol?

NC Karunya: Firstly, we would like to do well in Indian Idol, and then take it from there. I would like to pursue playback singing for the movies. I have been trained in Carnatic music and have grown up listening to it. Not only this, I'm exposed to all genres of music, this is one of the reasons why I would be proficient at picking up and fitting into any genre of music I am told to sing in.
Sandeep Acharya: I have always been inclined towards Classical music and Ghazals. I would also like to pursue singing for films and put my experiences to good use. Most importantly, I would like to grow and learn. My aspiration is to be an international star.

How has the Indian Idol competition been so far? How has the relationship between the two of you been?

NC Karunya: The competition has been intense, there were so many good singers, and you feel sad when they leave, because you grow onto each other, but some win, some loose. Now that the two of us are left, we will have to put in our best. As for our relationship, we have no ego issues and are the best of friends.
Sandeep Acharya: We have an esteemed panel of judges who we respect because they have guided us well. I am more concerned with my own singing instead of being concerned about minute issues that should not come in the way of singing well. We have no problems with each other and obviously we have grown to learn from each other, and respect each others hard work. I do hope things go well.

Your favourite singer... Influences?

NC Karunya: Kishore Kumar
Sandeep Acharya: Mohd. Rafi

Where do you see yourself five years from Indian Idol?

NC Karunya: I see myself, singing well, doing well, and giving people good songs to listen to, not only this, I see myself as an accomplished playback artist.
Sandeep Acharya: Ditto!

Would you guys want to get into acting, because that seems to be the common norm these daysÖ?

Collectively (laughing): No way! We're here to sing, not act!

Any advice to future Indian Idol aspirants?

NC Karunya: Practice hard! You will achieve more if you do.
Sandeep Acharya: There is no substitute for hard work.


Comments