ANJAAN- An Interview

ONE evening you turn your radio on and you're greeted with "Hi, it's me Anjaan," then you decide you want to attend a concert and find someone on stage saying the same words. Turn the television on, and it's him again! just when you thought you couldn't get enough of him, you find the Taurean greeting you with a happy smile in the movies. Who is Anjaan? who better to tell you than the man himself? Puja Goyal caught up with Anjaan to solve the mystery.

Tell us more about your childhood, and your initial steps in career.

When I was a child I was really ugly. My mom had to bribe the neighbourhood kids to play with me. (Not that much has changed now!) Early in my career prominent people in the television business urged me to get into radio. I sometimes wonder why.. Meanwhile I also got a job as a weather person on a TV channel, but it's difficult to smile and give a hurricane warning at the same time, so I'd rather be an RJ!

What have been your experiences as an RJ?

I've been talking since the time I was born. People say when I was a little baby, I was discovered on the steps of the radio station wearing a nappy, with a little microphone pinned onto it and tiny little headphones on my ears! I'm clocked more than 12,000 hours of presentation on 101.3 fm; been with AIR for 7 years now! (3 years with 612 kHz and 4 years with 101.3 fm.) Phew! You really don't know how time flies eh?

You have a knack for being funny and spontaneous at the same time. Is it something you learn to develop over time?

Funny, who me? That's the biggest joke ever! I think funny or not funny is a relative subject. It's the perspective with which you see things. Preparation is a complete necessity, only when you have things to say, you can say it with substance. The more you read the more you assimilate. The more you know the funnier you get. And when I was younger, I told people I wanted to make a living out of being a funny guy or a stand up comedian, they laughed. Now I make a living out of it, and nobody laughs!

What are the essentials for a Radio Jockey?

The RJ aspirant needs to sharpen his/her eyebrows so they can close their eyes and do the presentation. They need to pump up their biceps on their fingertips so they can push the buttons on the CD players with ease. And practice bending down and picking up discs which keep falling down all the time! These are the essentials to be a good RJ! Seriously, I think an RJ should be a good human being first, and be himself, because a good human being maketh a good RJ.

How has RJing changed over the years coz a few years back it wasn't even considered a career?

RJing is a full time job. You have to be able to have things to say. And that takes all the time you have.Without any valuable input an RJ's output won't have substance. The perceived value of RJ's has increased. Earlier, we were just some fools who knew a little more about music than you did, who you'd listen to on the radio when you had nothing else to do. Now everyone sees RJ's with admiration.

What have you been up to, besides RJing and MCing?

I have previously worked with SSMusic as a VJ. I have had a small role in Revathi's "Phir Milenge", and compered 600 shows until now. My recent exploit is that of introducing the MLTR concert and being the first local boy to do so. Besides this, I have been a part of fifteen theatre productions.

How would you define Anjaan? How do you want people to perceive you?

Anjaan, means the unknown. I define myself as ironic! As far as people's perception is concerned then, I donít want to control people's perception; they can perceive me as they receive me.

Your mantra in life?

I've learnt that you can get away with something with your charm for about fifteen minutes. After that you'd better know something!

Source: Vijay Times, BVT LifeStyle - 4.
Copyright © 2005 Puja Goyal.

WELL KNOWN DUDE: Anjaan

Comments