'I am an Idealist'


IT IS said that, if you want to see how an artist has matured over the years, you should study his work. Shibu Arakkal has recently come out with his ensemble of 'Abstract Notions' at Galerie Sara; and the exhibition is on till December 5. There is much more to an artist than the eye meets. Shibu shares his notions with Puja Goyal.

VIJAY TIMES: VT LIFE PAGE 3

Abstracts Notions: I have been working on this series for two years; the 15 pictures in the show are a collection from the 40 to 45 of my abstract works and the title is meant to be a humorous take on my thinking. After Galerie Sara, we move to Bombay in January and Delhi in February.

Importance of a subject for photography: The subject should be important enough to be photographed. A subject's definition is based on the level of profundity I see them. I have chosen unnoticed itemsÖ tail lamps, head lamps, etc. It is more about what the form can eventually translate into. I was trying to probe, why are we more in love with the curve instead of a lineÖ why do we considered Italian cars more attractive, than American; why do we consider a womanís body more sensual, I think it all boils down to the sexual aspect of a woman.

The essence of my Art: My pictures have an element of symmetry because itís got to do with the kind of person I am. Iím a very clean person; I wash my hands 10 times a day and like things arranged in a particular way. Initially, I was not comfortable with asymmetry but now I am used to it. In my pictures the bare minimum work has to do with changed color and tone, and in some cases multiply them. I like having space in my pictures and use it dramatically. A lot of times, the subject itself is so powerful and you need a sort of relief. A base, lighting, composition and space are very important in a picture.

My spiritual connection with the world: Most people who came to my exhibition have noticed they have a Zen feel to them. I am an idealist and my pictures are an idealistic notion of beauty. To me spirituality does not necessarily have to do with God, it has to do with thingsÖ like the way a light glimmers over a bottle capÖ which conveys more to me than a bare naked women.

Perception of photography over the years: My perception has remained unchanged, but a little change has been due to maturity in the kind of person I am. I have ventured into colours from working only with black and white. Over the years, I have learnt that there are different views to life and one has to be able to see it...

Final notes: We do not expect to sell much in Bangalore and the response from media in Bangalore has been a little muted. The best ways to promote any art is to, one: sell, but the people need to put money in their mouth. Two: when critics write they are covering it for masses whatever the review is. I am having three editions of each photo because I want my art to be rare; normally photographers bring out 50 to 60 editions. Bangalore is slowly waking up to photography; but right now, there is a big buzz about photography in Mumbai and Delhi.

Comments