An Unusual Combination - Robin Colaco

(c) 2007 Puja Goyal

Robin Colaco has found ways to combine his passion for math and interest in music. "I started learning the piano as a child but gradually lost interest and stopped pursuing it. Later my mum and dad encouraged me to learn how to play the guitar. I have not been through any professional training and have experimented and picked up stuff. Music is more of a recreation and escape. Math on the other hand is a subject I have always been interested in." says Robin.

Although he is not professionally trained in music Robin feels that total training is not essential; practice is more important. He adds that, "training should be in terms of theory, and there should always be an option to experiment. No musician can compose purely based on theory. It will make them dogmatic. I believe a musician should be 75 percent experience and 25 percent theory."

Math is Robin's passion and Music his interest; he was not as studious in school as Robin puts it; "I was a good student in school but was not known for Music or anything. I was a sportsman in school. I played hockey and football and participated in a couple of district tournaments. I was recognized for sports."

The twenty- nine year old Piscean Robin, now works as a coordinator and Mathematic teacher for a school in Bangalore and entertains his hobbies part-time. Just as he likes to teach in school and be a team member in sports in his school days; he is more than happy to play the guitar behind the scenes as a back up artist instead of basking in the glory of the public eye. "I wouldn't really classify myself as a professional musician. I do a lot of gospel related music and prefer musical theatre. Music is more for the joy of doing it." His basic influences are more jazz related, gospel, and classical jazz related.

Robin performed solo for the first time nine years ago in Leila Alvare's stage production "Grease". It was his first major production where he worked back stage as a supporting musician along with the likes of Bruce Lee Mani.

As a member of the band K- Sharp, Robin has been a part of various concerts and stage productions. He is quite religious in his outlook on life and loves the color yellow. He prefers not to take a lot of risks and follow the conformist path, "there are many musicians who can pursue music full time. I know tons all over the place. One of them is Jason Zachariah who does show all over the place. But what after that, in a situation where you stop getting offers; what do you have to fall back upon? I would rather have something to fall back upon and that’s why I teach. I would like to play safe than be sorry".

Comments