Fashion for Children

(Source: Vijay Times, BVT Pg 4.)
Copyright © 2005 Puja Goyal

SOS Children’s Villages of India, for the first time in Bangalore, organized a Fashion Auction on Friday, June 24 2005. The Fashion Auction showcased some of the best creations donated by 20 leading Designers of India. This is the first of its kind auction where India’s Top Designers have shown solidarity in achieving objective to raise funds for the clothing expenses of the children of SOS Children's Villages.

BVT caught up with some designers to get their views on their participation in the event.

How did you know of the auction?
Manish Arora: I was informed of the event by Prasad Bidappa
Ashish Soni: Prasad Bidappa
Rahul Khanna: Through the fashion Circuit
Namarata G: A circular that was passed around.

What do they think of the SOS Auction?
Manish Arora: I am involved in this for the first time and I am touched by the work they are doing. They need our support.
Ashish Soni: The work that these authorities have undertaken is massive. I have seen the structure and can only imagine the finances they require.
Rahul Khanna: This is the first time in Bangalore that we are doing such a thing and I am hopeful of the auction going well.
Namrata G: I think this is wonderful. I think that these people need encouragement and our support. I want to be involved more and this is just the beginning for me.

How many outfits do they plan to auction?
Manish: One, it is an outfit designed for men.
Ashish Soni: One outfit, which is from my latest collection. The outfit is designed for men, and is a black sherwani.
Rahul Khanna: We are auctioning two outfits.
Namarata G: I am auctioning two outfits, one is a men's outfit and the other is a ladies outfit consisting of a long skirt and a blouse.

Final Words:
Manish Arora:
Raising money is what they need the most. We have a lot of people helping but it is important that corporate houses come forward.
Ashish Soni: I will definitely do more now that I have seen what it is all about.
Rahul Khanna: This is a good beginning. I do not know how well auctions work in Bangalore but in Mumbai the auctions run very well. I hope this has a good turn out.
Namrata G: I have seen a lot and learnt a lot. People should come forward to participate in and volunteer with such organizations and support them. I will definitely want to take this forward, maybe come every Sunday and spend time with the kids.

Comments